Our mission is to provide the programs and services needed to eliminate the killing of at-risk animals due to lack of space, adopter or foster.
About San Antonio Pets Alive!
San Antonio Pets Alive! is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Due to alarming euthanasia rates, San Antonio Pets Alive! (SAPA!) was founded in 2011. SAPA! is unique—it is the only high-paced, high-volume rescue in San Antonio, saving 5,000 at-risk cats and dogs from euthanasia annually.
Since its inception, SAPA! has saved more than 65,000 dogs and cats. SAPA! provides safety nets for the dogs and cats that fall through the cracks of all other lifesaving options and end up on the euthanasia list at the city shelter, often with just hours to be saved. SAPA! promotes the availability of these dogs and cats to other rescues, adopters, and fosters.
San Antonio Pets Alive! by the Numbers:
- Has saved more than 65,000 lives since its inception in 2011
- Rescues approximately 5,000 at-risk dogs and cats in our community
- Works with 1,000 fosters caring for more than 2,800 of our animals
- Saves the lives of approximately 1,500 neonatal kittens and puppies
In 2021, San Antonio Pets Alive:
- Saved 4,745 dogs and cats
- Found 2,905 dogs and cats forever families
- Transported 114 dogs to new lives up North
- Provided 1,521 neonatal kittens and puppies with lifesaving care
- Gave 259 parvovirus and parvo suspect puppies a second chance
- Treated 284 cats and dogs with ringworm
- Administered more than 9,100 vaccinations
- Treated 219 dogs for heartworms
- Spayed/neutered 651 dogs and cats at our Medical Care Center
Our Core Values
- Stewardship. We are caretakers of the dogs and cats we save. Our stewardship also extends to the gifts we receive, our reputation and the goodwill of our community.
- Integrity. We believe integrity drives us to be honest and responsible in our actions and communications with our team and the general public.
- Excellence. We strive for excellence and efficiency in every program we implement, ensuring the best care for the dogs and cats we save and the families who love and adopt them.
- Respect. We treat all animals and people with dignity and kindness.
- Lifesaving. We believe that life is precious. We work tirelessly with compassion, care and love to save the lives of dogs and cats and to do what's best for the animals, adopters and fosters.