We currently are not accepting new volunteers, both individuals and group volunteers. Please visit our website for updates. Approved individual volunteers can continue volunteering at our locations.
Our dedicated team of volunteers can help at our adoption center, rescue center, medical care center, administrative office and take part in a wide range of remote opportunities. Share your talents and time to help the homeless dogs and cats of San Antonio.
Please keep in mind our requirement that all volunteers are required to complete 4 hours of service every month in order to remain active.
- Submit a Volunteer Application.
- Sign the Volunteer Agreement and release if volunteering on-site. You must be at least 18 years of age to volunteer at one of our onsite locations. Volunteers are not allowed to volunteer at any of our locations or events without first turning in a signed waiver. Please scan or photograph your completed form and email it in to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If volunteering at our Hwy 151 location, you must print, fill out, and sign a City of San Antonio Background Check form and deliver it in person directly to Rose Janice at the San Antonio Animal Care Services Administration building. We will notify you once the background check is cleared.
- Attend a New Volunteer Orientation! Available orientation dates can be viewed on Better Impact. This will give new volunteers an overview of our organization and a detailed look into our volunteer opportunities and teams.
- If you would like to engage in volunteer shifts that require dog handling, you must attend a SAPA! Dog Handling Class. Available class dates can be viewed on Better Impact. Upon completion you will have the opportunity to schedule your first shift and meet with Kyle Hines for a hands-on training session.
Age 17 & Under: Minor Volunteers
Volunteers may complete any activities in the pre-approved book of remote service opportunities. Verification of completed hours can be provided by SAPA! Volunteer team
Age 18 & Up: General Volunteers
Volunteers age 18 and up are eligible to complete volunteer hours on-site. Additional training is required to handle dogs.
Information for volunteers with physical and intellectual disabilities: San Antonio Pets Alive! is happy to provide volunteer opportunities to any individuals who can perform tasks independently or with the assistance of a caretaker. Please note a caretaker, parent, or guardian must also be a registered volunteer who has attended a new volunteer orientation.
Court Appointed Community Service Program:
If the court has ordered you community service, and you have selected San Antonio Pets Alive! to fulfill those hours, please review the following information before reaching out to schedule your first day of service.
Community Service Hours:
Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays
9:30am – 12:30pm *Volunteers must arrive no later than 9:30 AM. No exceptions! *
*Excluding Christmas, New Year's Day and the 4th of July. Community service hours subject to change.
Age Requirements: Must be over the age of 18
Time Commitment: CACS Volunteers are required to complete an entire shift block from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM.
Please Note: We accept CACS workers with the following offenses (must have occurred in the state of Texas):
-Basic traffic tickets
-DWI (first offense only)
-Some minor drug-related charges (on a case-by-case basis)
CACS Volunteers must first receive approval from the SAPA! Volunteer Coordinator prior to showing up for their first shift.