How to Adopt
Thank you for considering adopting a rescue animal! Here are the steps you’ll need to take to adopt a dog from SAPA!
Step One: Find the Right Pet
Browse our dogs or cats online or come to one of our adoption events to meet them. If the animal is currently in foster care, we will put you in touch with the foster home and will setup a time for your potential pet and yourself to meet.
We want to help you find the perfect animal for you. We will encourage you to spend a lot of time with your potential new pet and actually require that you spend at least 30 minutes with a pet before filling out an application.
Step Two: Adopt a Pet
Once you’ve found the right animal for you, you’re ready to adopt. In total, this process will take about an hour.
We are often running adoption specials! Make sure you ask if there are any adoption specials running when you adopt your new family member!
Complete Our Adoption Application
- You must spend at least 30 minutes with the pet you want to adopt.
- You must fill out our application and meet with an adoption counselor.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must show a picture ID with your current address. If this isn’t available, we will accept a picture ID with a current utility bill.
- You must show proof of landlord approval or home ownership if you are considering a dog or puppy that might have visual characteristics of a pit bull terrier (even if they are subtle). We love our bully breeds, but want to make sure that all parties involved are aware and there are no breed restrictions involved.
- A SAPA!-conducted “meet and greet” with current household dogs is generally required for all adult dogs.
Our adoption fee varies per animal, depending upon age, breed, and medical/behavioral conditions. The price is listed on each pet’s record. This fee includes:
- Spay or neuter surgery
- Heartworm test on dogs over 6 months
- First or more vaccinations (to include Rabies, DHPP, Bordetella), current up to adoption
- First or more deworming treatment
- Personality evaluation
- One month of pet health insurance
Note: sometimes adoption fees will be higher if an animal has required extensive medical treatment.
Step Three: Follow the Post-Adoption Instructions
Congratulations on finding your new family member! Don’t forget to complete the post-adoption instructions:
- Within 48 hours of your pets spay/neuter surgery, you will receive an email with your new dog’s medical records, microchip information, and Sheltercare insurance information. If you do not receive this email within 48 hours of your pets spay/neuter surgery, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Activate your free 30 day pet health insurance by calling 1-877-707-7297. Click here for more details about insurance from ShelterCare.
- Note that the insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions and begins 48 hours after adoption.
- Please ask the adoption counselor which microchip brand your new pet has. This will guide you to register the chip correctly. Ensure that your dog/cat’s microchip has been updated with your correct information by filling out the appropriate paperwork: Avid Registration form at www.avidid.com or 24 Pet Watch at www.24petwatch.com.